I seem to be spending most of my Christmas vacation watching films. We just watched Bruce Almighty and I quite enjoyed it. I have never been a big fan of the Jim Carrey slapstick roles but in this the comedy is more subtle.
Carrey plays TV reporter Bruce Nolan who hates the lifestyle oddities he is asked to report on a wants the TV anchor role. When his colleague Evan gets the gig Bruce, down on his luck, complains bitterly to everybody who listen. When God (Morgan Freeman) has had enough of the complaints he lets Bruce play God for a while (and God goes on vacation).
Predictably, Bruce uses the power to his own advantage at first before we get to the moment where he realises this isn’t the way (which is not too long after he let everybody win the lottery and watched riots unfold before him). And, despite that predictability, it’s an enjoyable way to pass an hour or two (and you hear God explain the concept of ‘Free Will’ which is a nice get-out clause for everybody).
On this day…
- 2006: Here We Go — I’ve been quiet and I know it but it’s that time of year when there never seems to be enough [...]
- 2005: 2004 In Review — The New Year is always a time for review. Last year I went into an in-depth review of what I [...]
- 2004: Love Actually — Love Actually is not the film I imagined it to be. I guess you can call it a romantic comedy [...]
- 2004: Review of 2003: December — Well, I have finally managed to read all the entries from the year and I have reached December – the [...]
- 2004: Review of 2003: November — November was the second busiest month in terms of entries across Listen to Musak and the month in which the [...]
- 2002: Why Do You Do It? — I wrote these words about why I have a web presence sometime back in around 2000. At the time as [...]