A year ago I wrote about ringtones and the large amounts of money to be made from them (as well as one of the current boyband stars of the time) and asked when we would see the first ringtone only hit? Well, maybe not ringtones but the music download industry in the UK is taking a step towards being able to produce download only hits when Radio 1 introduces the download chart from the start of next month. I think this is fantastic news and I will be interested to see how the record companies react.
Also about a year ago, I wrote about my first experiences with downloading music from the MSN Music Club. Well, I can tell you that a year on I have bought, perhaps, ten tracks – mainly the odd chart hit jumps out at me. I’ve tried several services and find them all a little frustrating in one way or another.
Many download services don’t let you have the latest singles from an artist until they are falling down the regular charts. I assume to this is to ensure that those fans who want the track will actually buy it and contribute to a chart position before the downloads (which don’t contribute to a proper chart position). So, although I do think this chart is a superb step forward, digital music will only be legitimised when it’s included with the full chart.
Maybe in twelve months I’ll be writing about that.
On this day…
- 2007: Presentation Porn — Ever read 43 Folders? Right up there on the front page it says “43 Folders is Merlin Manns site about [...]
- 2005: Memories Of The Walkman — When I was younger my Sony Walkman was one of my favourite things. Today, you would probably think of it [...]
- 2003: Silly Pop Stars — Lee Ryan
Who’s a silly boy then? With all that fame and money you think Blue’s Lee Ryan would be more [...]
- 2003: Beep Beep To Profit — Sometimes, I live in a world of hope and today is no exception. BBC News reports that sales of mobile [...]
- 2002: When Love Comes To Town — My latest book review!!
When Love Comes To TownTom Lennon
There are many fictional coming-out tales to choose from, so why this [...]